Home of Guiding Hands (HGH) operates 31 homes in the San Diego, California communities of Encinitas, Spring Valley, Santee, Lakeside, San Carlos, and El Cajon. Each home and its residents have specific needs, many of which are not covered by reimbursement from the state. Our residents are very low income and have limited funds to pay for personal items and activities such as clothing, movie rentals, dining out, and field trips to parks and local attractions.
Operating the 31 homes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, is expensive and only partially funded by California’s reimbursement rates. We have an ongoing need for assistance with major purchases such as appliances, flooring, furniture; therapeutic equipment, and for major remodeling projects, as needed. With support from individual donors like you, and from corporate contributions and grants, HGH is able to provide these items, which dramatically improve the quality of life for our residents.
We need your help to provide these little extras that enrich the lives of our residents and increase their level of comfort. Due to the specific needs of the residents at our homes, items donated to HGH must meet certain criteria and standards that will ensure the best support and quality possible.
Items should be new. Gift cards and cash donations for specific items are also encouraged. Please note that 100% of all designated donations go directly to that item or program.
Following is a list of some specific items currently on our Wish List:
- Wheelchairs (manual, excellent condition or new)
- Movie passes to east San Diego County theaters
- Passes to area attractions (including the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Legoland, and Disneyland)
- Gift Certificates to restaurants and shops
- Gift Certificates to hair and nail salons
- DVD/Blu-Ray players; iPods, CD/MP3 players with radio; headphones
- CDs; Blu-ray and/or DVD movies
- Crockpots, blenders, and large kitchen appliances
- Linens (kitchen towels, twin sheet sets and comforters; bath towels, washcloths)
- Pots and pans, dishes, glasses, baking dishes, silverware, plastic storage containers
- Gaming systems such as Wii, Playstations, etc.
- Educational software for PCs
- Books; Art Supplies; Puzzles; Board games
- Shade tarps
- Beach chairs
- Sporting equipment: Baseballs, Mitts, soccer balls, basketballs
- Garden supplies: soil, seeds, planting boxes
- Gift cards to Grocery stores, Target and Walmart
Large Items: Furniture, Electrical and Appliances, Flooring, and Outdoor Equipment
We can no longer accept used furniture and appliances; these items must be purchased new. We are currently seeking donations and/or matching funds so that the following items can be purchased, delivered, and installed in one of the 31 homes:
- New flooring (commercial-grade linoleum)
- Sofas, love seats and chairs (durable, sturdy, stain resistant)
- Sturdy dining room tables and chairs
- Microwave ovens
- Sturdy patio furniture (no glass please)
- Gas barbeque grills
- Flat screen TVs
We would also like to establish partnership agreements with local vendors that could help us replace the above items at discounted or no cost.
Please contact Pamela Starmack, Development & Communications Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (619) 938-2855. for more information about donations and in-kind gifts.